Chesterfield County, Virginia
Financial Reporting Manager
Salary Range: $74,378 – $127,008
Deadline: 11:59 p.m. April 18, 2021
Committed to excellence in public and financial services and upholding the highest standards of ethics and integrity.
If you have experience leading a team of accounting professionals and coordinating publication of complex financial reports, we are looking forward to your application.
What You Do and How You Do It:
A Financial Reporting Manager is a results-oriented member of the Accounting Department’s management team. As a highly skilled working manager of a professional team comprised of nine financial reporting analysts, you will have a wide range of responsibilities. This includes:
- Managing all aspects of the annual external audit of the County/Schools financial accounts and records.
- Managing the compilation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, including financial statements, note disclosures, federal expenditure schedules and statistical reporting, all with a goal of minimizing auditor adjustments and/or findings.
- Managing the compilation of a county-wide cost allocation plan, various federally and state required reports, and financial reporting for related organizations.
- Managing the department’s participation in the collaborative compilation of offering and continuing disclosure documents related to municipal debt.
- Ensuring compliance of general ledger transactions with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), federal, state and local regulatory requirements and established internal controls.
- Analyzing authoritative guidance and recommending actions required for compliance.
- Providing technical financial assistance as needed to County and Schools departments.
- Demonstrating reliable professional judgment in decision making.
- Reviewing and evaluating the performance of staff.
- Performing other work as required.
Here’s What You Need:
Bachelor’s degree in accounting and three to five years of management experience in a diverse, complex accounting environment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. You must demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of GAAP; experience in managing the year-end closing of financial accounts and records, including the related financial report compilations, and the external audit. You must have excellent analytical and decision-making skills; and effective communication skills for collaborating at all levels in a complex organization. Effective time management and the ability to prioritize competing priorities is an essential skill. CPA or other relevant certification is an advantage.
Pre-employment drug testing, FBI criminal background check and education/degree verification required.
If you are interested in a position where you become expert in the many facets of governmental accounting and its impact on local government and public school finance, then this is the position for you. While the financial reporting manager works daily with front-line administrative and technical accounting staff across many departments, you also routinely collaborate with a diverse group of professionals at all levels including county administration, department directors, school staff, external auditors, and federal and state financial contacts. To be successful in providing quality services to Accounting’s customers, you are expected to attain an appropriate level of expertise of our county/school departments’ business models so that you can communicate with them effectively regarding their financial transactions, assist them with financial solutions as needed or educate them regarding upcoming changes in governmental accounting standards that impact their business processes. You must be expert at efficiently reviewing the work of others and providing relevant feedback so that both you and staff can successfully meet tight deadlines where multiple complex financial reports are all due within a short time period. You are responsible for evaluating the work of your staff, developing their skills and on-boarding when there is turnover. During periods of peak workload, you will work well over the standard 40-hour work week.
Coordinating the completion of timely, accurate and compliant reports is challenging, but we are confident that all we need is the right person with the right skills to pull it all together. If you look forward to a rewarding career as a public servant at an award winning, triple AAA bond rated organization with opportunities for career advancement, the Chesterfield County Accounting Department may be the perfect place for you.
Position open until filled (first review to begin March 29, 2021).
PLEASE NOTE: Previous applicants do not need to re-apply. Applications will remain under consideration until position is filled.
A Chesterfield County application is required and must be submitted online by deadline. Visit chesterfield.gov/careers to view instructions and to complete and submit an application. (804) 748-1551.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.